1 ½ cup diced fresh strawberries
2 cups non-bleached all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon zest
6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon light cream (half&half)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 425ºF. Line a large baking sheet with foil, then spray with oil (pam or bakers joy) or spread a little butter. Set the baking sheet aside.
- Place the diced strawberries on several sheets of paper towel to absorb the moisture. Meanwhile, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, the lemon zest and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut butter into cubes and place then inside the mixture. Incorporate the butter into the dry mixture. You can use a pastry blender or a wooden spoon, however I found it easier to just use me hands to mix in the butter. Next, add the strawberries, gently fold in and try not to mash up the strawberries.
- Make a well in the mixture. Blend the ½ cup of light cream and the vanilla extract in a measuring cup and pour them into the well. Using as few strokes as possible, gently stir the dough until it forms a ball. Let the dough sit for 1 minute. The dough may seem very wet, but it due to the moisture in the strawberries, so it is okay to continue.
- Clean and flour your hands and dust your work surface with flour. Place the dough on the floured surface and knead it gently a few times. Then flatten the dough into a rectangle and make sure it is about ½ inch thick. (it will rise when it bakes). Next, using a floured knife or pizza cutter, cut out triangles and use a spatula to transport the triangle dough from the floured surface onto the baking pan. Make sure you leave about ½ inch between each triangle on the baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the remaining tablespoon of light cream, then sprinkle the surface of the triangles with sugar. Bake the scones until the outsides are crusty and starting to brown, about 18 – 25 minutes. Once more, sprinkle the scones with sugar once they have come out of the oven. Let them cool for about 10-15 minute before serving!